Why we love it
The Surin and Similan Islands, north west of Thailand host some of the best dive sites in the world. Diving Richelieu Rock, its most famous site, feels like being in a big aquarium filled with lots of tropical fish. Keep your eyes open as while we were diving there, we almost missed a whaleshark because we were just too busy looking at some macro! Big and small you have it all. A perfect dive trip for people who just have a few days, with lots of action and an amazing crew.
The boat runs cruises to remove abandoned fishing nets and lines with Ocean Quest Global in Myanmar, and expeditions with Manta Trust and others to identify whale sharks in Thailand (see dates in our “What’s Included” section). Longitude 181 Member. Reef-friendly toiletries on-board.
Who is it for?
For both new and advanced divers who like variety. Drift dives, night, deep and shallower dives. Other activities: kayak, islands exploration, eating great food on board, chill out in between dives!
Prices and Dates
- cabin shared with another person
- up to 4 dives a day
- All meals (Breakfast, Lunch, afternoon bites, Dinner), soft drinks, drinking water, filter coffee & tea
- Fresh fruits, yoghurt & snacks
- 12 Liter Alum. Cylinders, Weights & Weight Belt
- PADI Professional Dive Guide
- Towels, reef-friendly shower gel, shampoo, conditioner
- Sea kayak and hammocks
- November 3- 8, 2021: Black water diving expedition
- January 22-27, 2022: Photo clinic expedition
- February 13-21, 2022: Manta Trust expedition
- March 15-21, 2022: Whale Shark expedition
Marine park fee:
PADI Continuing Education Courses
12 Liter Cylinders fill up with Nitrox
- Recognized as a National Park since 1981, Surin and Similan Islands are famous for excellent diving, with beautiful hard coral and lots of marine life!
- Richelieu Rock, a limestone pinnacle carpeted with a thick covering pink and purple corals, is one of the few sites in the world where whale sharks are encountered on a regular basis.
- You will spot species such as manta rays, leopard sharks, napoleon wrasse, yellow-masked angelfish, bumphead parrotfish, tomato anemonefish, barramundi, trevally, barracuda, tuna, jenkins stingray, turtles.
- The sites are also good for macro life and you might see some frogfish, ghost pipefish and seahorses.
- Season: high Season from December to April
- Currents: can be strong in some sites
- Visibility: 5 to 20 m (16 to 66 ft)
- Water temperature: anges 26° to 29°C (79° to 84°F)
- Depth: both deep and shallower dives
- The Surin Islands are a series of jungle covered granite outcrops that are ringed with coral reefs to a depth of 25-30 meters.
- The most famous dive sites of the area are Surin Islands, Richelieu Rock, Koh Bon, and Koh Tachai
- Operation created in 2012
- Number of boats: one brand-new boat, designed for divers
- PADI courses - ask us
- Languages spoken: English, French
- Maximum number of divers per guide: 4
- Equipment Recommended: a 3mm wetsuit and the usual diving equipment.
- Insurance: Both dive insurance and travel insurance are mandatory. We recommend Dive Assure that has plans to cover both - ask us for a quote.
- Hyperbaric Chamber: in Phuket
Visas, flights, and more!
- Your passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months from the date of arrival.
- As of August 2017, no visa was needed for a stay of fewer than 30 days for citizens from France, the USA, Japan, Canada, the UK, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, Spain, and many other countries.
- Please check latest visa requirements for Thailand before traveling: Thailand Immigration Bureau
How to get there?
- Depending on the date, the boat will depart from Phuket, Kao Lak or Ranong - ask us.
- Phuket (HKT) is an international airport, and Kao Lak is just an hour and a half drive from it.
- To go to Ranong, catch a short flight from Bangkok Don Mueang (DMK) with Air Asia or Nok Air
- Bring sunscreen, a hat, mosquito repellent, a rashguard, a sweater or a light weight jacket