Why we love it
Every year over the summer, hundreds of whale sharks migrate to Bahia de los Angeles, a marine reserve located in the Sea of Cortez, Baja California. This trip starts in San Diego, California, USA, from where you'll do a short road-trip through the desert, before embarking on a comfortable dive boat. You'll be amazed by the rich marine life. It is also one of the few world´s sites where hundreds of whale sharks gather on a seasonal basis.
The Guadalupe and Socorro Conservation Funds support since 2004 scientific research and conservation work in the Sea of Cortez, at Socorro, Clipperton and Guadalupe Islands. Support of various charities such as Dive into the Pink and PADI Project Aware.
Who is it for?
For divers of all levels who want to discover the very rich marine life of the Sea of Cortez with some thrill. Non-divers can snorkel, use kayaks and paddle boards.
Prices and Dates
- 5 nights on the boat with daily room service
- 12 dives and some snorkeling sessions
- transfer to/from San Diego by road
- All meals (continental breakfast, breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert)
- Non-alcoholic beverages and snacks
- Use of kayaks and paddle boards
- An underwater dive guide
- End of trip DVD
- Port Fee of per person payable in cash
- Local mexican tax
- Transfers between the airport and meeting spot
- Alcoholic beverages
- Dive gear rental and Nitrox
- Wi-fi access onboard
- Bahia de los Angeles is a marine reserve located in the very rich Sea of Cortez, off the East coast of Baja California, Mexico.
- You'll get to see a colony of a thousand sea lions, some large school of fish, some turtles, up to 14 types of whales and dolphins, some sharks and rays, many sponges, some endemic algae, and some hard and soft coral.
- It is one of the few world´s sites where large groups of Whale Sharks gather every year.
- The Sea of Cortez is also one of two primary mating and breeding areas for the Humboldt squid.
- Season: June to October
- Currents: not much
- Visibility: 15 to 35 m (50 to 115 ft)
- Water Temperature: 23° to 26°C (73° to 79°F)
- Depth: shallow dives mostly
- Dive operator with over 25 years of experience in the area
- 4 boats
- Guests dive into different groups according to their level and preferences in guidance
- Dive course possible with additional costs - ask us.
- English speaking crew
- Equipment Recommended: 3 to 5 mm wetsuit, dive computer, surface marker buoy (SMB), and a whistle
- Insurance: Both dive insurance and travel insurance are mandatory. We recommend Dive Assure that has plans to cover both - ask us for a quote.
- Nearest Hyperbaric Chamber: San Diego, USA or San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
Visas, flights, and more!
- Many countries’ residents do not require a visa to stay in Mexico for up to 180 days.
- Please check the current visa policy that applies for your country.
How to get there
- International flights to San Diego, California, USA.
- You should arrive one day before the trip starts as departure is at 8am.
- Return on the 6th day will be at around 6:30 p.m., depending on USA Customs.
- Bring reef-safe sunscreen, a hat, a rash guard, and a sweater or light-weight jacket