Why we love it
Discover the real Maldives! Designed by divers, this boutique eco-resort is located right next to the best dive sites of the Maldives. You’ll dive on South Ari atoll, a hot spot to see whale sharks and mantas. We love that it is located on a village-island. Staying at this eco-resort means you’ll support the local economy. In your free time, feel free to explore the island, and discover the real life of a Maldivian village.
The island of Dhigurah is one of few local islands who partnered with Parley, an organization which one project is to up-cycle plastic waste from the ocean. Once a week, the island collects plastic that will be used to make Adidas Ultraboost trainers. Waste food goes to compost, and the island carefully sorts what can be recycled. The eco-resort tries to reduce its plastic usage as much as possible.
Who is it for?
For divers who want to escape the crowds and discover the real Maldives, without compromising on diving. A good destination for snorkellers too, as there are daily excursions.
Prices and Dates
- 7 nights in a Double Deluxe Room (price per person, on a double occupancy basis).
- Up to two dives per day, or one snorkelling or excursion trip per day (whaleshark or manta viewing) depending on the package chosen (scuba diver or snorkeller)
- Camera work station in each bedroom
- Roof top restaurant and in-house chefs
- Full Board - three meals per day
- Unlimited water, soft drinks, tea and coffee
- Local fresh juices and mocktails during mealtimes
- Tanks and weights, mask, snorkel and fins
- Free wifi in hotel rooms and hotel area
- 12% GST tax
- Flights, transfer from Male to Dhigurah - ask us the options.
- Nitrox per tank
- Dive equipment hire, such as Regulator and BCD
- Green Tax per night per person
- PADI courses
- The island of Dhigurah is based in South Ari atoll. The area is known for the whale sharks that can be spotted year-round.
- The British Whale Shark NGO, also based on this island, has been recording more than 350 individuals in the area. Most of them are teenagers.
- In the lagoon, manta rays are also frequently spotted.
- Season: you can dive in South Ari atoll year round, however the best time is from November to end of May. In June-July, there is a southwest monsoon, during which there’ll be more wind, some rain, and stronger swells.
- Currents: can be moderate to strong in a few well-known sites
- Visibility: 15 to 40 m (50 to 131 ft)
- Water Temperature: ranges 26° to 29°C (79° to 84°F) from November to May, and can go as low as 24°C (75°F) during monsoon season
- Depth: shallow and deep dives
- There are more than 15 excellent dive sites close to the island, and 50 at reach.
- You’ll get to dive on a beautiful topography: coral gardens, pinnacles, swim throughs, channels, and wrecks.
- Expect to see colorful soft corals, big schools of jacks and trevallies, some large barracudas, some grey reef sharks and in this area: whale sharks and manta rays.
- Kudarah Thila is a famous dive site in the Maldives and a marine protected reef since 1995. It is located just 10 minutes away.
- Other sites you’ll get to dive on are Broken Rock, with a deep canyon, and 5 rocks, where you can spot large barracudas.
- Operation created in 2015
- Number of boats: 1
- PADI 5 stars dive resort
- Dive courses - ask us
- Language spoken: English, Danish, German, Maldivian
- Maximum number of people per dive guide: 5
- Equipment Recommended: a 3mm to 5mm wetsuit, depending on the time of the year
- Insurance: both dive insurance and travel insurance are mandatory. We recommend DAN Europe that has plans to cover both - ask us for a quote
- Nearest Hyperbaric Chamber: in Bandos island, north of Male or Kuramathi island
Visas, flights, and more!
- You must have a passport valid for at least six months, a pre-paid or booking accomodation proof, sufficient funds for your stay, and a return ticket.
- Tourist visa is granted for all nationalities, on arrival, for up to thirty days.
- Please check current visa policies that apply for your country: Maldives Immigration website
How to get there
- Fly to Maldives capital city Male (MLE). Ask us for help to organize the transfers!
The fastest way to get there is with a domestic flight (15 minues) with FLYME to Maamigili International Airport (VAM). From there, take a short boat ride to Dhigurah island (20 minutes). Price: return.
A more economical option option is to take a speedboat leaving from Male at 4pm. Returns leave from Dhigurah at 6:30am. The trip lasts 2 hours and there needs to be at least two people. Price: return.
- Bring conservative clothing as you’ll be staying on a village-island: shoulders and knees should be covered. Bring some reef-safe sunscreen, a hat and a rash guard to protect from the sun, and some mosquito repellent.